Communications Intern -
At Truscott Rossman, you’ll work on exciting, important projects for great clients across the state. You would have a great opportunity to get valuable, well-rounded communications experience. Your work would include drafting news releases, pitching media, drafting ad copy, planning and attending press conferences, working on digital media projects, assisting in coalition building efforts and much more. Below is a short overview of the internship position in our Detroit office.
- Pay: All intern positions are paid and can count for college credit.
- Schedule: This position requires a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week, but for summer interns we prefer 25-30 hours per week. As a college student, we know school is your #1 priority – we’re happy to work around class schedules. Our internship duration follows your school’s semester schedule. It is possible to intern at TR for more than one semester.
- Duration: Ideally, the candidate would start in the second week of January and stay through the last week of April. This all depends on your school schedule.
- Location: This opening is for TR’s Detroit office, located on Russell St. in the Eastern Market.
Who We Look For
We look for creative, detail-oriented individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment, have great interpersonal skills and are strong writers. Our intern positions are highly competitive, but we regularly accept applications. We count on our interns to balance multiple assignments, take both initiative and direction and produce quality work every day. That’s why no other firm will better prepare you for a career in communications.
Here are some of the skills and interest areas that will help you get this position:
- Strong writing skills.
- Knowledge of current events: If you’ve been known to read the WSJ, LSJ, Detroit News and the Freep while listening to NPR for your morning coffee, then this internship is for you.
- Digital/social media savvy: The more you know about digital media, the better!
Truscott Rossman is a full-service PR agency, which means our work ranges from issues management and crisis communications to media relations, community relations and more. We work with all kinds of clients on diverse projects, allowing our interns to get valuable, well-rounded communications experience.
How To Apply
Use the application tool below to submit your application. Your application should include the following:
- Required: A cover letter. (please mention any volunteer work – whether political, charitable or other)
- Required: An updated resume with relevant work, education or volunteer experience.
- Required: A writing sample. It can be anything – a press release, blog post, a paper you wrote for class.
- Optional: Design samples, links to websites/blogs, links to any videos, graphics or websites you’ve produced – or anything else you think we should consider. Be sure to let us know how it’s relevant in your cover letter.
- Optional: Consider including references for a previous employer or a favorite professor – we may call them.