Communications Intern -
Grand Rapids, Michigan
At Truscott Rossman, you’ll work on exciting, important projects for great clients across the state. You would have a great opportunity to get valuable, well-rounded communications experience. Your work would include drafting news releases, pitching media, drafting ad copy, planning and attending press conferences, working on digital media projects, assisting in coalition building efforts and much more. Below is a short overview of the internship position in our Grand Rapids office.
- Pay: All intern positions are paid and can count for college credit.
- Schedule: This position requires a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week, but for summer interns we prefer 25-30 hours per week. As a college student, we know school is your #1 priority – we’re happy to work around class schedules. Our internship duration follows your school’s semester schedule. It is possible to intern at TR for more than one semester – all you have to do is work hard, learn a lot, and get invited back!
- Duration: Ideally, the candidate would stay for at least one semester. We like to invite back awesome interns (… and we like to hire SUPER awesome interns).
- Location: This opening is for TR’s Grand Rapids office, located in the historic Ledyard Building.
Who We Look For
We look for creative, detail-oriented individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment, have great interpersonal skills and are strong writers. Our intern positions are highly competitive, but we regularly accept applications. We count on our interns to balance multiple assignments, take both initiative and direction and produce quality work every day. That’s why no other firm will better prepare you for a career in communications.
Here are some of the skills and interest areas that will help you get this position:
- Strong writing skills.
- Knowledge of current events: If you’ve been known to read the WSJ, MLive/GR Press, Detroit News and the Freep while listening to NPR for your morning coffee, then this internship is for you.
- Digital/social media savvy: The more you know about digital media, the better!
Truscott Rossman is a full-service PR agency, which means our work ranges from issues management and crisis communications to media relations, community relations and more. We work with all kinds of clients on diverse projects, allowing our interns to get valuable, well-rounded communications experience.
How To Apply
Your application should include the following:
- Required: A cover letter. Why are you applying, what do you know, and what do you want to learn?
- Required: An updated resume with relevant work, education or volunteer experience.
- Required: A writing sample. It can be anything – a press release, blog post, a paper you wrote for class.
- Required: Design samples or a portfolio. Mention it in your cover letter and be sure to let us know how it’s relevant to this application.
- Optional: Consider including references for a previous employer or a favorite professor – we may call them.