Public Relations Intern -
Grand Rapids, Michigan
At Truscott Rossman, you’ll work on exciting, important projects for our local, statewide and national clients. This is the perfect opportunity to get valuable, well-rounded PR experience. Our clients range from leading automotive suppliers, healthcare providers, nonprofits, tech companies and more. Your work would include social media copy writing, drafting press releases, pitching media, drafting ad copy, planning and attending press conferences, working on digital media projects, assisting in coalition building efforts and much more. Below is a short overview of the internship position.
- Pay: All intern positions are paid at a starting rate of $15 per hour and can count for college credit.
- Schedule: This position requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week, but for summer interns we prefer 25-30 hours per week. We know school is your #1 priority – we’re happy to work around class schedules. Our internship duration follows your school’s semester schedule. It is possible to intern at TR for more than one semester. Please note semester(s) of interest in your cover letter or application.
- Duration: Ideally, the candidate would stay for at least one semester. We like to invite back exceptional interns.
- Location: We offer a remote internship experience with optional in-person work at our Detroit, Lansing or Grand Rapids offices.
Potential Position Responsibilities
- Fully support the PR strategies of Truscott Rossman’s clients – executing segments of those strategies upon request
- Create and curate engaging content through effective writing for various types of communications channels
- Provide concrete deliverables by established deadlines
- Create effective social media and blog content
- Build and update media lists and databases
- Schedule, coordinate and attend various events
- Perform research and market analysis activities
- Create and distribute press releases
- Assist with media relations, including pitching, research and interview scheduling if needed
- Assist with following-up with members of the media to track and ensure client placement
- Assist with proofing written materials for style, grammar, etc.
Who We Look For
We look for creative, detail-oriented individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment, have great interpersonal skills, are self-starters and strong writers. Our intern positions are highly competitive, and we accept applications on a rolling basis. We count on our interns to balance multiple assignments, take both initiative and direction and produce quality work every day. That’s why no other firm will better prepare you for a career in public relations.
Here are some of the skills and interest areas that will help you get this position:
- Strong writing skills. Good writing is at the core of all PR projects (press release, social copy, op-eds, story boarding, etc.) and we’re always looking for interns who can bring that skill to the TR team. Bonus points if you have a knack for AP Style.
- Knowledge of current events.
- Digital/social media savvy: The more you know about digital media, the better!
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously
- Graphic design experience (not required).
Truscott Rossman is a full-service PR agency, which means our work ranges from digital strategy and crisis communications to media relations, community relations and more. We work with all kinds of clients on diverse projects, allowing our interns to get valuable, well-rounded communications experience.
- Current enrollment in, or graduate of, a related BS or Master university/college program with an emphasis on public relations, communications, journalism or marketing.
How To Apply
Use the application tool below to submit your application. Your application should include the following:
- Required: A cover letter. (please mention any volunteer work – whether political, charitable or other)
- Required: An updated resume with relevant work, education and/or volunteer experience.
- Required: A PR writing sample. It can be anything – a press release, blog post, op-ed or multiple social posts.
- Optional: Design samples, links to websites/blogs, links to any videos, graphics or websites you’ve produced – or anything else you think we should consider. Be sure to let us know how it’s relevant in your cover letter.
- Optional: Consider including references for a previous employer or a favorite professor – we may call them.